Painted in 1902 by Professor Thomas Frederick Mason Sheard, it is irregular in shape designed to surround the gothic arched window at the east end of the north aisle chapel. The December edition of the Fringford Parish Magazine 1901 reported that the painting (or ‘wall frescoes’ as the article terms it) was paid for by Mr H G Chinnery. At the same time he paid for the chapel ceiling to be decorated with a fifteenth century pattern, and stained glass representing Saint Michael and attendant angels to be placed in the east window of the north aisle.
The picture suffered considerable damage due to ingress of water over the last 20 years and thanks to tremendous work on the part of the Restoration Fund-Raising Committee sufficient money was raised to enable the restoration. In April 2003, Ruth Bubb, Conservor of Paintings, removed the painting and took it away to be restored In the meantime, the external stonework was repaired. The painting was returned to its place in the north aisle.
Fringford Church is open during daylight hours for visitors who are interested in viewing the painting.